Monday, January 31, 2011

Stardoll to Disney - an evolution, or execution ?

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few days, you'll have heard of Disney's 'supposed' plans to buy our beloved Stardoll and turning it into 'Disneydoll'. Now, I personally wouldn't mind this, just because of how BIG a Disney fan I am. I may be 15, but I am still a child, and that means I love nothing more than sitting down in the afternoons and putting on the Lion King, Tarzan or Treasure Planet. I am a little nervous as to how they would change stardoll. I mean, we've all gotten used to the makeover. But, even then, many users left because they didn't like the new layout. And that was when they just changed the look, not the fundamentals of the site. Changing everything would loose millions, not just a couple, but MILLIONS of members.

Turning stardoll it into Disneydoll seems a little...
narcissistic to me. For those of you who do not know what this means, it is someone who shows lots of self loving and displays a lot adoration in oneself. Disney changing the name to include them makes them look so sure of themselves and how they think this change is going to be successful. Stardoll has always had CELEBRITIES to dress up, not Disney Princesses. Stardoll is unique, and thats why it's successful. It doesn't conform to others expectations. It doesn't follow the crowd, it makes it's own trends.

Not that I'm against Disney buying Stardoll. Hey, they're Disney. Disney is like the King of animation, all other animation companies are competing for second place behind the well knowm big mouse ears. Disney deserves their crown, and even if you're not a fan you have to admit that they obviously are doing something right to have lasted number one since our parents were children. If they did buy it, I wouldn't mind if they changed the site in TINY amounts, and I mean TINY. Maybe a colour change from the normal pink, and a different logo, BUT NOT A DIFFERENT NAME. Perhaps even adding some Disney dolls. I wouldn't mind a Rapunzel doll that is available for all countries. But no name changes, and completely messing up the stardoll that we love.

No, I won't leave if Disney buys stardoll. That is my personal decision (and right now it seems that I'm the only person with this opinion). I love this site, and have since 2008. If Disney makes a farce of what was once a million member site, I probably wouldn't be online as often. But I made an account on Stardoll because I wanted to meet friends from all over the world; people who I'd never have even met without this site. That idea will not change over time.

Disney, I love you. Stardoll, I love you just as much. I wouldn't mind if they did combine. But I think it's just best to let sleeping dogs lie. Who knows, this may all be a big sham and many members will have gotten their underwear in a knot over nothing. Thus leaving the happy time when all members can un-knot their knickers and relax back into their normal stardoll routine. Lets face it people; we cannot stop it if it's going to happen. Disney is a multi-billion dollar company with many brilliant minds running it. We are but humble members of a virtual community. In the end, we all have to remember that stardoll is a business and it has to perform as a business would. If it is better to sell, then they will do so. If it is a safe bet to keep the company, then they won't sell. Only time will tell how this dilemma plays out.

Till next time my knitted knickers readers,
Much l♥ve.

1 comment:

  1. Its just a rumour, its NOT real. Someone contacted stardoll and theres proof it is a rumour.

    Look here: i53.tinypic.com/2ziwoxd.png

    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give Stardoll to Disney, seriously. They would lose many of the paying customers they already have.

    -MissCutieeeeee

    ReplyDelete